Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Sink into that Good Oblivion
Dogs and babies. I swear. They can sleep just about anywhere. Used to be, I could too. Historically, sleep is not something that eludes me. Regardless of what was going on in my life – good, bad, indifferent – within five, ten minutes of hitting my pillow, I was dead to the outside world and driving a Plymouth Satellite in my own private Idaho. These past couple years, though, situational insomnia has reared its ugly head on more than a few occasions, like some big ol' wet blankie of a dream policeman with all lights blazing to shut down my nighttime party gone out of bounds.
Sleep? Why won't you dance with me? I'm not no Limburger . . .
Anyhoo. Now I'm doing all kinds of research, which includes informal polling of friends and family. Help a gal out and let me know: what's sleep like for you?
1. I'm out like a light as soon as my head hits the pillow and I sleep until I get up.
2. I fall asleep quickly, but wake up several times during the night.
3. I take forever to fall asleep but once I do, I sleep straight through the night.
4. I sleep just great! Thanks to an arsenal of herbal supplements, illegal drugs, and several fifths of vodka.
5. Sleep? Sleep is for wussies and squares. Nothing beats the hallucinogenic experience of three days straight on your feet.