Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Eating the Elephant


Not that I ever would, mind you. Elephants are one of my favorite animals. Not only are they magnificent and powerful, they are also highly sensitive and intelligent. All qualities I admire in any creature—animal, vegetable, or mineral. I would never, ever wish an elephant harm, much less attempt to eat it.

However, when things become just a tad overwhelming in my life, it's a mantra I repeat over and over in my head: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Kind of a gross visual on the one hand, but highly effective on the other. The way my brain works, if I can "see" it, I can usually figure out a way to do it.

And because I'm busy eating, I may not be around an awful lot, but I'll drop by when I can. In the meantime, if you have any personal mantras or tricks of the brain you use to deal with stress and keep yourself focused, I'd love to hear them.

12 comments:

Jenny said...

"At this moment, everything is OK".

Chickie told me that a few years ago and I've never forgotten it.

You know I'm in your corner and admire you for all of the plates/balls you somehow manage to juggle and keep up in the air.

Stay.In.The.Moment.

xoxoxo

LẌ said...

Kit: "Keep it together. Keep it together. Keep it together."

Bowfinger

Karl said...

Good morning Moi,

The key to starting or completing any journey is by putting one boot front of the other. But it really means the same as yours.

Hope you find your meal tasty and filling, without being overstuffed.

BlazngScarlet said...

Mines very similar ...
I sing "Just put one foot in front of the other" over and over in my head! lol
Of course, then I visualize the Warlock & Klaus and I smile. After that, all seems to be not so monumental. =)

My mantra since the start of the year is Give Bliss A Chance.
I hope you remember to find yours as your devouring your 'elephant' =)
(You need salt for that?! lol)

BlazngScarlet said...

GAH! Forgive my spelling ... i'm having "a day".

Pfft ....

czar said...

Can't pop music help you with that?

chicken wrangler said...

I am in the same space. Overwhelmed. What Boxer said "I am okay right now." most anxiety is a result of future worry and past regret. I believe that entire book "the power of now" is based on the principle of being present in the moment. this is a skill set that will serve all Murkans well in the days to come. Hang in there baby -we'll be laughing at these Ides of March in NYC!

czar said...

Nothing, by the way, keeps me focused better than fear. And I've got the blood pressure to prove it.

Rafael said...

Moi:
As delicious as a bit of elephant is; 'specially when sauteed in a pan of garlic and red peppers, my mantra has always been:

Push till your brain hurts, break it down to build it up, 'cause nothing trumps stronger, faster, smarter.

SMILE and be SUPER--

Rafa

Anonymous said...

Suspendo in illic

Pam said...

I stand up straight, put my shoulders back, chin(s) high and say, "I'm going in ..." Oh and cranking up some good rock music helps.

Big Shamu said...

I look at my dog who looks back at me with unconditional love and faith. I try to be that person. To validate that look from him. All the rest is fluffernutter.