Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Movie Clip Wednesdays: Favorite Theme Song



One of my favorite pieces of westerners-behaving-badly-in-the-tropics literature is Christopher Koch's The Year of Living Dangerously.

In 1982, the esteemed Australian director Peter Weir turned the book into an equally great film, starring one of my all-time favorite actresses, Sigourney Weaver, and what used to be one of my favorite actors, Mel Gibson, before he decided to leave his wife of 50 gazillion years for a silicone-inflated Russian gold digger who baited him into fully revealing his bat shit crazy underbelly. Such a shame. Unfortunately, Gibson isn't the only rage-fueled misogynist in Hollyweird. He's just the most recent to get caught on tape. You know how the Catholic church has set up sanctuaries in remote areas around the country to house pedophile priests? We need one of those for men like Gibson.

That aside, what I like best about the movie is Vangelis's theme song. He is probably most well known for his Academy Award-winning theme for Chariots of Fire and the music in Blade Runner, but but I think this is his prettiest and most haunting work. It fits the movie like a glove.

10 comments:

Pam said...

Oh Great Choice! Wasn't this point in time just Mel at his best looking self? Am constantly amazed with the new crap he keeps coming out with and I think I can no longer ignore that he is a total misogynist freak. Probably kept Wife #1 pregnant and barefoot. I went the Chariots of Fire route myself ...

Jenny said...

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! We almost watched it a few weeks ago, but Mr. Boxer has it on Laserdisc so we went with something else. I almost picked another Peter Weir movie, Witness.

Great pick.

(and I agree about Mel too.)

Sharon Rudd said...

Great song - you're right about it being haunting. Great movie too, and another of my favorite actors is in it, Linda Hunt. Her performance in YOLD was remarkable, and also just reminded me of a play I saw her in in NYC back in the early '80s where she played a female pope. Intriguing play, great performance. Dang, but I'm not remembering enough to dig up the name of the play on google. I must be getting old :)

Buzz Kill said...

A wet Sigourney Weaver is always good but I have to admit that I've never seen this movie. Nice music though. I always liked Mel, especially as Mad Max and in Braveheart. But if you're going to base an actor's ability on what they do off-screen, you're going to have a very short list. Hollywood corrupts absolutely - in my humble opinion.

Happy MCW!

moi said...

Pam: Actually, I think he did keep his wife barefoot and pregnant, albeit in Prada. They have eleventy million children together and then, at the age of 50-something, he goes and has another one with this ding-a-ling broad? What a dummy.

Boxer: Oh, go back and watch it. It's great. And you never see it on cable or the satellite channels, either.

Eggplant: I think Linda Hunt won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for this. Remarkable performance.

Buzz: True that. Still, Hollyweird can't totally corrupt if it doesn't have an opening.

Pam said...

Just to comment on Linda Hunt in this movie .... superb, beyond superb. I had no idea it was a female playing the role. Actually, probably one of the most interesting roles in movie-dom.

Heff said...

I saw "The Night Of Loving Dangerously", but I'm pretty sure the premise was a little different.

Karl said...

Good afternoon Moi,

You can hear the Chariots of Fire influences in the song, it has a comforting melody.

I don't really follow Hollyweird. I had heard that Mel Gibson had substance issues and a pretty violent past prior to becoming an actor. This may be part of this problem.

Joanna Cake said...

Great film, I didnt know this music tho. And a shame about Mel too, such a beautiful looking man

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.