Thursday, November 26, 2009

Dim Sum Sunday, Day 1, Thanksgiving Day


Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 2009
8:11 a.m. MST
Weather: sunny and cool.
Mood: Hungry.

I'm valiantly trying not to unwrap one of the containers of peanut brittle I am bringing as gifts to my step father and his neighbors, who are hosting our feastie this year. Dang it, I should have held some back for myself. I have a sweet tooth the size of Alaska and it asserts itself most strongly in the mornings because I am a coffee drinker, too.

Anyway. This peanut brittle? I made it in the microwave. Well, after I burned the first batch. That always happens with any candy-making endeavor on my part, at least until I can make the adjustment between the recipe and my actual equipment (I have the Superman of microwaves and the skinny ass nerd of candy thermometers).

So, yeah. Is there anything worse than the smell of burned sugar? And it's persistent, too; permeates every nook and cranny of the house. Hell, I even smelled it at 1am this morning when we woke up to get Ivan off the bed.

But once I figured out to adjust the times downward, the second batch came out great. Give it a try. Because nothing says, "I love you." or "Thanks a bunch!" than a gift of sweets. Or is that just me?

Moi's Easy Peasy (After You Burn it Once, That Is) Microwave Peanut Brittle

What:
1 cup honey roasted peanuts
1 cup of granulated white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda

How:
Combine peanuts, sugar, corn syrup, and salt into a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. CAREFULLY and with super duper strength oven mitts, remove bowl and stir with a wooden spoon. Return to microwave and zap on high for another 3 minutes. Remove again and stir in 1 tablespoon of the butter. Zap in the micro for another 2 or so minutes, checking after one minute to make sure the mixture is turning a deep golden brown, but NOT BURNING. After the 2 or so minutes are up, remove from microwave and stir in the vanilla and baking soda. QUICKLY scrape out mixture onto a well buttered (or Silpat-covered) heavy duty baking pan under which you have placed a heat resistant mat, and spread out to about 1/4" thickness with a flat metal spatula.



Let harden and cool, about 30-45 minutes. Then, place a clean tea towel over the mixture and, using a hammer or rubber mallet, lightly tap the mixture until you break it into bite-sized pieces. Wrap up nicely and take to all your holiday parties. Your friends will thank you, as will their dentists.



To see what everyone else is cooking up this holiday, drop on by
Shamu's Karmic Kitchen from now until this Sunday!

11 comments:

Big Shamu said...

I actually like peanut brittle and love that you made it in the microwave. Can't wait to see what else is on the menu for today.

moi said...

Shamu: Brittle is one of those quick hits of sugar fixes that are so easy to make, it should be illegal. I also discovered that pralines can be successfully made in the micro, too. Yes, I KNOW! Oh, the possibilities for tooth decay, like Plumber Pant, are so gloriously ENDLESS this time of the year!

Doris Rose said...

This is the first thing I ever cooked in myvery first microwave (many years ago). EVERYONE got peanut brittle and cashew brittle by the butt load. Fudge wasn't half bad either.
Happy Holiday!

Big Shamu said...

Pout! Wii Bitch says I can't have any.

Dani said...

Yummy!!
I'm gonna try and make peanut brittle for Christmas. Mix it in with some cookies and ship it off to the family.

Happy Thanksgiving Moi. :)

Big Shamu said...

You know the best way to get rid of that burnt sugar smell? Fry up some bacon, of course.

Private Nutz said...

tsk, tsk, do you have any idea how many calories are this dish, Moi?

Get down and give me 20 pushups!

fishy said...

Excellent!
I think our family is voting for all handmade/homemade gifties this year. This brittle looks like an awesome future present to those with secure teeth.
Blessings to you and family this fine Thanksgiving Day.

Jenny said...

You had me at "microwave". I so love the brittle and despite my ban on white sugar, it shall be lifted in order to make this recipe.

You know what's worse than burnt sugar? Burnt vegetable soup left on the burner for an hour. (don't ask, just assume.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Big Shamu said...

Well the bacon scent covering hint won't work for that....how about POPCORN?

LaDivaCucina said...

Oh yeah, now I remember why I missed this post, I was unconscious and in bed for three days during Thanksgiving! This sounds great and as you know, I burned maple syrup making those stupid cookies the other night! ARGH! I scraped off black charcoal off my stove top and had the fan on for hours!!! haha!

Thanks Moi!