Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Soy un Perdedor
On the Plus Side:
1. That bloated representation of all that is WRONG with the Republican party as it stands today got his bottom spanked.
2. In Montana, where Dr. Ron Paul was on the ballot, voters gave him a full 2.2% of their vote, the highest state total ever for any 3rd party candidate. He also finished 3rd in Louisiana (woot!).
3. All major third party candidates increased their numbers over 2004. That's diversity going on right there, Party People:
• Bob Barr garnered around 500,000 of the vote, 23 percent over the 2004 Libertarian Party candidate.
• Chuck Baldwin finished near 190,000, a 24 percent increase over the 2004 Constitution Party candidate.
• Independent Party Candidate Ralph Nader received 679,000 votes, a 32 percent increase over 2004.
• Green Party Candidate Cynthia McKinney received 139,000 votes, 14 percent over 2004.
On the Minus Side:
1. We now have a government controlled by the Democrats. That amount of power concentrated in one party? Never bodes well for anyone.
2. The ban against gay marriage is likely to pass in California Über Alles.
3. Call me cynical, but after the elation born of knowing that we have, truly, done something very different? It is most likely that real hope, real change will simply give way to Same as it Ever Was: bloated government, only in a much nicer suit.
I'm curious, though, to see what happens.
In the meantime: BROWNIES! Head on over to The Undaunted Baker. Because when all else fails and our time is a piece of wax fallin on a termite that's choking on the splinters? We should bake.