Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Movie Clip Wednesdays: Favorite Movie that Takes Place in Outer Space




Well, a portion of it anyway.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. Hilariously spoofy fun, with an irresistibly catchy theme song and gloriously whacked out performances, including one by John Lithgow as the evil Dr. Emilio Lizardo, around whom most of the move revolves. What there is of a plot involves Lizardo breaking out of an insane asylum in order to lead a fellow band of marooned (in New Jersey) aliens back to their home of Planet 10. When? Real soon.

Hell bent on stopping them is physicist (and, also, rock musician) Buckaroo Banzai and his band of sidekicks (the Hong Kong Cavaliers), one of whom refuses to ever button his shirt, another is perpetually dressed as a cowboy (Cowboy Curtis anyone?), and another is an emotional mess of a young woman played by Ellen Barkin who nonetheless manages to squint her way into Buckaroo's heart.

The whole thing is very 1980s camp and chock-a-block full of the kinds of one-liners that immediately get folded into one's everyday vernacular. To this day, I still use the line, "Laugh while you can, monkey boy." but only occasionally remember why.







If you want to play today or every Wednesday, simply post a 3 or so minute clip of your favorite movie that meets the theme's criteria, head over to hostesses Boxer's blog, and post an I'm Up! in the comment's box. And let's see how many people jinxed with Alien.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard this was really weird.

Jenny said...

My new favorite line is yours... bwahahahahah,

"laugh while you can monkey boy."

Great pick and this is one I've never seen. I love John Lithgow (before he did that 3rd Rock show) and I think I need to see this.

Thanks for playing. I'm taking Buzz's suggestion and putting MCW on hiatus until the fall.

moi said...

Troll: It's, like, crazy. Man.

Boxer: Also, "When are we going?" "Real soon!"

Joanna Cake said...

Never heard of this one either! :)

Karl said...

I kindof remember this movie and thinking to myself, these guys are into string theory.

A happy clip day to you.

Princess said...

hi Moi,
I've been using the line "real soon" in response to the nieces harping "When are we going?" for years..And I haven't even seen this movie... go figure?
I must check this movie out... it looks like a real hoot.
Undone shirt boy might also be an attraction too... I'm not sure?

Sharon Rudd said...

Yeah - Buckaroo Bonzai is one of my favorite movies ever! Tres hysterical. I think the lead actor played the dead guy in The Big Chill (whose funeral was the reason everyone got together in the first place).

IF MCW goes on hiatus, I will miss these occasional blasts from the past. But I'm sure whatever else you all do will continue to keep me amused :)

Buzz Kill said...

This is a cheesy, campy, funny goddam movie. I've seen it like 20 times. Lithgow was really funny in it. The cowboy was Jeff Goldblum. The scene where the band is playing and Peter Weller (Robocop) stops in the middle of his riff because Penny is crying is hysterical.

Perfect Tommy: Emilio Lizardo. Wasn't he on TV once?
Buckaroo Banzai: You're thinking of Mr. Wizard.
Reno: Emilio Lizardo is a top scientist, dummkopf.
Perfect Tommy: So was Mr. Wizard.

Perfect Tommy - that's funny.

Happy MCW!

Buzz Kill said...

IE

The dead guy in the Big Chill was - Kevin Costner.

moi said...

Cake: Worth checking out.

Karl: If you thought that, then you could easily have been a Hong Kong Cavalier. Only in a tux, carrying something scientific-ey.

Princess: Yes, undone shirt boy is tres attractive. In a cheesy 80s sort of way, but hey, we were all once alive in the 1980s and therefore quite cheesy ourselves, right?

Eggy: Oh, yes, it's a laugh a minute 'round these parts. Something will crop up.

Buzz: And the theme song. Dude, that's a great movie theme song.

LaDivaCucina said...

LOVE this movie, owned it and used to watch it after the clubs with friends. Yeah, Monkey Boy made it into my vocab too!

And I think also, "no matter where you go, there you are?"

Loved when Jeff Goldblum's character steps out of the bus in his cowboy regalia and Pretty Tommy looks him up and down and they exchange where they are from, too funny.

And now Paul Weller is a professor at Syracuse University and I believe teaches Roman art?

moi said...

La Diva: Seriously on Weller? That's pretty cool. I think he recently made an appearance on Dexter, too.